Sunday, April 15, 2012

Oven Roasted Salsa for 2!

Ever want yummy homemade salsa but not a Gallon of yummy homemade salsa?  Chris is a Pace Picante (Hot) guy so there is never a need to make more than a cup and I rarely ever go to the trouble.  I had 3 Roma tomatoes in the frig today though and they were screaming SALSA!  Since I also had FRESH HEB tortillas, I decided today was the perfect day!  So, here is what you do for a little salsa!

Preheat your oven to Screamin' hot.  The thermastat in mine is trying to decide if it wants to die or not and I am having a heck of time getting a true oven temp reading.  My little hanging thermometer said 450F.  Line a sided cookie sheet with foil.  Cut 3 Roma tomatoes into wedges.  Peel 2 garlic cloves.  Cut and wedge an onion.  Cut and quarter 2-3 jalapenos.  The seeds and veins are what make a pepper hot so toss 'em or leave 'em in, it is up to you.  For mine, I left the seeds in 1.  Drizzle with EVOO and a quick little sprinkle of Kosher Salt.  Pop the tray into the oven and keep an eye on it.  You want the veggies to get some color and soften up but you do NOT want CHAR. 



My garlic cloves were done a good while before the other veggies so really do keep an eye on it.  Your tomatoes will have oozed, keep it, after putting all the other stuff in the blender, pour the juice in. 


I know, dark picture but see the veggies, soft, a little color...just right.  Get your blender out!  Pile the veggies in with the juice from the cookie sheet. 


See, pretty huh?  Now blend!  It is just that easy!  Here's the To Taste part. I put in the juice from half of a medium lime. (Not a huge lime fan) A small amount of fresh cilantro (I AM a HUGE fan but Chris doesn't love it) some Kosher Salt and a little Cumin. Cumin is a personal choice here. I LOVE IT but you don't have to use it at all. TO TASTE. Add a little then taste. It is easy to add more of something and almost impossible to remove it!!!  This stuff will be HOT since you've just taken the ingredients out of the oven.  Let it cool!  You can even put it in the refrigerator.  Your salsa, it's up to you.  I like mine cold.  Even if you like it warm give it a little while for the flavors to marry and get happy with each other.  YUM!!  Serve with chips!  =)


Fresh Oven Roasted Salsa for Two

3 Roma Tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
2-3 Jalapenos (more or less to taste)
1 small onion or 3/4 large onion
fresh cilantro
1/2 a fresh lime
Kosher salt
EVOO
cumin




No comments:

Post a Comment